THE THIRD SUNDAY IN ADVENT – December 11, 2022
GLORY BE TO JESUS CHRIST! GLORY BE TO HIM FOREVER!
LIVE AUDIO STREAMING during today’s service is available on the Order of Service page. Recorded audio will be added following worship.
Parish Life Notes
Post St. Nicholas Celebration. Join us after worship today to view the photo album from the St. Nicholas celebration, and share your impressions, suggestions, and stories.
The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.Luke 10. 17-20
St. Mary’s Hand-dipped Beeswax Wax Candles make an excellent Christmas gift or stocking-stuffer. Available after worship today at a cost of $6.00 pair.
Aboriginal/ Non-Aboriginal Intercultural Christmas Dinner and Potluck takes place at St. Mary’s on Wednesday December 14th starting at 5:00 p.m. in the Upper Hall. All are welcome!
A Service of Lessons and Carols for Christmas will be held on Saturday, December 17th at 7:00 p.m. This is a “guest service” to which you are encouraged to invite friends, neighbours, colleagues, and family. Invitations will be distributed in today’s service.
Christmas Concert featuring local musicians and performing classical repertoire will be held at St. Mary’s on Wednesday, December 21 at 7.30 p.m. All are welcome and invited!
Vestry met on Sunday Nov. 27. Topics for discussion included reporting in on the regular life of the parish, an update from the Refugee Sponsorship Committee, and the state of parish finances. Here are some highlights:
• Giving thanks for ongoing preparations for the St. Nicholas Day Festival, the Lessons and Carols service on Saturday Dec. 17th, and our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services. Thanks so much to everyone who has helped with the planning and preparation for these events!
• Claude met with Bishop Helen in November to discuss parish life.
• The Mapiou Deng Arok family will arrive in Regina on January 17th! Since we were originally expecting them to arrive in October, we have had to continue paying rent on their home October through December. We are grateful to the Diocese for approving this expense, as the house is a very good situation for the family, and has already been furnished. We will arrange a greeting party for the family in the new year!
• Vestry passed a motion that any proceeds from the St. Nicholas Day Festival will be divided as follows: 50% to St. Mary’s general revenue fund, 25% to CityKidz, and 25% to the Marian Centre.
• Vestry also passed a motion that this year’s Christmas offering will be given to Claude and Hilary.
Update on Parish Finances.
As of November 30, we have a total income of $155,593.18 and year-to-date total expenses of $178,789.98, for a net operating loss of -$23,196.80. This is not good, but it is better than the $34,000.00 deficit we were projecting in the summer. This is largely due to the generous giving of parishioners, so thank you.
Vestry will be finalizing and voting on our 2023 budget in January. We appreciate your prayers as we seek God’s wisdom and his will for St. Mary’s. The budget will be presented at the Annual Parish Meeting in February.
As the Churchwardens, Beth and Mary will be organizing our annual request for pledges from the congregation in January. Gathering as much information as we can on your giving plans for the year helps the Vestry to create an honest and accurate budget for the church. Look for a letter in the mail from Beth and Mary in the coming days, and please consider carefully what you can give to St. Mary’s in 2023. Pledge forms will be available online through the church website and paper forms will also be available. We greatly appreciate your contribution to the planning process.
We give thanks to God for all the signs of life at St. Mary’s that point to the wonder of our life together as the Body of Christ. We are thankful for Anya as she prepares for her confirmation. We are thankful for the wonderful time we had welcoming friends and guests to St Mary’s for the St. Nicholas Day Festival, and for everyone who pitched in to make the day a success. We are thankful for the continued health and safety of the Mapiou Deng Arok family as they look forward to their new life with us starting in January. In a season that emphasizes preparation as we await the coming of our Saviour, we are grateful that we prepare and wait with you! Thank you for making our church family the blessing that it is.
Beth, on behalf of St. Mary’s Vestry
Christmas Services at St. Mary’s:
December 24th Christmas Eve: 8.00 p.m. Holy Communion with Carols of Christmas
December 25th Christmas Day: 10.30 a.m. Holy Communion with Carols of Christmas
Worship This Week
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday at 8:30 am
- Wednesday at 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday at 5:30 pm.