THE FOURTH SUNDAY IN ADVENT
December 18, 2022
GLORY BE TO JESUS CHRIST! GLORY BE TO HIM FOREVER
LIVE AUDIO STREAMING during today’s service is available on the Order of Service page. Recorded audio will be added following worship.
Parish Life Notes
Christmas Services at St. Mary’s:
- December 24th Christmas Eve: 8.00 p.m. Holy Communion with Carols of Christmas
- December 25th Christmas Day: 10.30 a.m. Holy Communion with Carols of Christmas
The Christmas Gift to the Rector made be made using the special Christmas offering envelopes or cheques made out to Rev. Claude Schroeder may be placed in the offering plate at our Christmas services.
2023 Envelopes Boxes of weekly and monthly donation envelopes are now available for pick up. Please grab yours from the table on the landing. If you don’t see your name on a box and would like to become a regular donor, please tell Blair and he will make the appropriate arrangements.
St. Mary’s Hand-dipped Beeswax Wax Candles make an excellent Christmas gift or stocking-stuffer. Available after worship today at a cost of $6.00 pair.
Christmas Concert featuring local musicians and performing classical repertoire will be held at St. Mary’s on Wednesday, December 21 at 7.30 p.m. All are welcome and invited!
Update from Vestry
Vestry met on Sunday Nov. 27. Topics for discussion included reporting in on the regular life of the parish, an update from the Refugee Sponsorship Committee, and the state of parish finances. Here are some highlights:
- Giving thanks for ongoing preparations for the St. Nicholas Day Festival, the Lessons and Carols service on Saturday Dec. 17th, and our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services. Thanks so much to everyone who has helped with the planning and preparation for these events!
- Claude met with Bishop Helen in November to discuss parish life.
- The Mapiou Deng Arok family will arrive in Regina on January 17th! Since we were originally expecting them to arrive in October, we have had to continue paying rent on their home October through December. We are grateful to the Diocese for approving this expense, as the house is a very good situation for the family, and has already been furnished. We will arrange a greeting party for the family in the new year!
- Vestry passed a motion that any proceeds from the St. Nicholas Day Festival will be divided as follows: 50% to St. Mary’s general revenue fund, 25% to CityKidz, and 25% to the Marian Centre.
- Vestry also passed a motion that this year’s Christmas offering will be given to Claude and Hilary.
Update on Parish Finances.
As of November 30, we have a total income of $155,593.18 and year-to-date total expenses of $178,789.98, for a net operating loss of -$23,196.80. This is not good, but it is better than the -$34,000.00 deficit we were projecting in the summer. This is largely due to the generous giving of parishioners, so thank you.
Vestry will be finalizing and voting on our 2023 budget in January. We appreciate your prayers as we seek God’s wisdom and his will for St. Mary’s. The budget will be presented at the Annual Parish Meeting in February.
As the Churchwardens, Beth and Mary will be organizing our annual request for pledges from the congregation in January. Gathering as much information as we can on your giving plans for the year helps the Vestry to create an honest and accurate budget for the church. Look for a letter in the mail from Beth and Mary in the coming days, and please consider carefully what you can give to St. Mary’s in 2023. Pledge forms will be available online through the church website and paper forms will also be available. We greatly appreciate your contribution to the planning process.
We give thanks to God for all the signs of life at St. Mary’s that point to the wonder of our life together as the Body of Christ. We are thankful for Anya as she prepares for her confirmation. We are thankful for the wonderful time we had welcoming friends and guests to St Mary’s for the St. Nicholas Day Festival, and for everyone who pitched in to make the day a success. We are thankful for the continued health and safety of the Mapiou Deng Arok family as they look forward to their new life with us starting in January. In a season that emphasizes preparation as we await the coming of our Saviour, we are grateful that we prepare and wait with you! Thank you for making our church family the blessing that it is.
On behalf of St. Mary’s Vestry
Worship This Week
- Tuesday, Thursday, Friday at 8:30 am
- Wednesday at 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday at 5:30 pm.